Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Another decline in Obama's popularity

My natural tendency is always to precede slowly. Seldom is there really a rush to do something, outside of military operations. Public policies should be debated, opposing views listened to and incorporated into the policy, etc. So, it is great news that this runaway train is slowing down. I am in favor of universal health care. I am in favor of environmental safeguard and caution on global warming. I am in favor of the concept of energy independence (but also common sense suggests that we should get our energy at the cheapest prices, regardless of where those prices are.)
But I have little or no faith that Congress will do the right thing. I have little faith that any legislation is not some massive payout to special interests. I have little faith that any legislation will not have significant unforseen consequences that make that problem worse in the long run. We are still suffering from the effects of some of LBJ's Great Society programs such as increased single families, broken homes, school dropouts, etc.
So this is why I cheer any decline of popularity for Obama. There is little negative consequence in just slowing things down. There is no reason for last minute admendments, bills passing without being read, etc.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0709/25189.html

No comments: