Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Taxes

I guess that there has been some changes in the tax laws in the US. I was recently laid off and, because of my age, started receiving a pension. After 32 years of work, I am fortunate to receive $2,310 a month, plus some employer paid health expenses.

Anyway, they were taking out $108/month for federal taxes until this past deposit when only $37 was withheld. Of course, this is only a temporary amount and for all I know, the government may want more then the $108/month at years end. But, in the meantime, I have $71 extra per month.

Now, I am rather undecided on my taxes. My father, a true FDR liberal, happily paid his taxes, content that he was one of the fortunate people who lived better than most and was glad to help the government help others less fortunate. He was not rich, by Obama's standards, as his peak pay was c. $100,000/year in current dollars but he saw himself as well off. Obama would give him an additional tax rebate. (Is there anyone like my father still left-people who believe that government helps people and therefore one should pay taxes without cheating, etc? Every other Democrat that I have met either wants more from government than they pay or knows that they will avoid paying taxes for these programs anyway.)

I tend to believe that the people are a more efficient user of money than the government. However, when 4 billion people live on less that $2/day, something is terribly wrong when some have so much when others have so little.

So, I don't mind my taxes too much. I just want government to be more efficient, not waste money, and not burden future generations with outrageous debt.

So, the dilemma for me is this: Why is Obama and Congress giving me a tax rebate? I don't need it. Congress and the federal government apparently need it more. If we are adding $1.8 TRILLION (!!!!!) to the national debt this year alone we are adding $438 per person per month to the national debt.

Why in the world would the government want to add to that debt by giving me back $71?

Post Script: Good old Oregon is taking out an extra $3/month. I guess that they need/want part of that "extra" $71. Thank you, Gov. Kulongoski.

No comments: