Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Going John Galt

I am having a dilemma. I believe in self reliance, self initiative, and self responsibility. I believe that Obama has turned Kennedy's "Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for the country" on it's head and believes that we should ask not what you can do for the country but what your country can do for you.
I believe that when the government provides, the incentive to provide for yourself diminishes. So, what to do? John Galt's answer is to withdraw from the economy and not contribute. And that is what people are doing. That is what I am doing. My income is way down and my taxes are way down. I have gone from contributing to society and the less fortunate to having my hand out and getting more from government than I contribute. There is a lot of questioning on my part as to whether this is morally right. I have tried to follow my version of the golden rule: Do unto others that which, if everyone did the same, would be beneficial to society.

http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2009-05-26-irs-tax-revenue-down_N.htm

We need people to contribute to others.

No comments: