Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Health Care Reform

I am troubled by the health care legislation. I support the idea of a government providing a safety net on health care, providing some basic preventative measures, as well as catastrophic care to help financially when a major illness hits. However, I am troubled by this group warfare and the continuing shifting of benefits from the young adults to older adults. Currently, young adults are largely subsidizing the 65+ people and Medicare. With the current plans, it looks like young adults will now also subsidize the 50-64 yr olds. The plan will require that older people be charged no more than twice the premiums of young adults despite the fact that older adults use 4-5 times the medical care.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/22/AR2009112201237.html?nav=rss_opinion/columns

If young adults really understand this and want this, I guess that I will support the plan but I find it very hard to believe that the young adults really want more money shifting from them to the 50 and over crowd.

No comments: